Sunday, November 11, 2012

Fall Weather and Pumpkin Pie Smoothies

Today is the most beautiful day - quite a change from the wind and rain of the hurricane the other week and the cold, wind and whipping snow we had last week from a nor'easter that followed on the heels of Hurricane Sandy.  It is one of those days where the sky is bright blue and cloudless and even though it is warm, the falling leaves and chill is a reminder that the warm weather won't last.

There is something about the change from Summer into Fall that triggers something in me. It is a little hard to explain, but Fall makes me think. It, more so than any other season, reminds me of the passage of time. Although most people think of Spring as a rebirth, Fall is my rebirth. It makes me remember where I have been and where I want to go. It makes me antsy to start new projects to refocus on old goals...and the funny thing about Fall is that even though they days are getting colder and darker, it makes me believe that anything is possible again. 


 
One of my favorite things about Fall is pumpkin – I love pumpkin in everything.  At the farmers market the other week I bought a few pumpkins, chopped them in half, scooped out the seed (salt and roast at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes - delicious) and put the halves in the slow cooker for about 6 hours. Then all you have to do is scoop out the flesh and freeze. Homemade pumpkin puree is much more flavorful than the canned variety, but of course, canned also works and Farmers Market brand uses BPA-free cans!



I've been making this smoothie as a dessert - it tastes like pumpkin pie filling to me. If you wanted more sweetness a date or some honey could be added.
 Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
1 frozen banana (unfrozen will also work)
¾ c. pumpkin puree
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or ground ginger)
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract                                                       ½ cup almond milk, coconut milk, or kefir (I used goat’s milk kefir)
Blend all ingredients in blender and drink!

Expect more pumpkin recipes to come... Like I said I'm an addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment