Monday, June 3, 2013

DIY Whipped Cocnut Oil Body Butter

I'm really thrilled because I saw this post on Radiant Life's blog with a recipe for a whipped body butter using simple ingredients and magnesium oil. I've been trying to find a satisfactory way to help my children use transdermal magnesium and this looked promising. After re-reading some of the information I researched for my post on magnesium, I was reminded how important magnesium is and determined to get some onto my kids. So tonight we made it!

I used coconut oil, Shea butter, magnesium oil and 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Magnesium is known to be calming and I figured lavender would be nice and relaxing too! We followed the directions and had lots of fun whipping up the body butter after the mix chilled in the fridge. It looked like creamy, white frosting, but let me assure you, it does not taste good. The girls eagerly applied it, then applied more after our detox bath. Sadly, L found it to be stingy when she was damp from the bath. There were tears and vigorous washing. However, she did allow me to give her a back massage with it after she was dry and she didn't have any complaints.

The texture is nice when you apply it, but, like using straight magnesium oil you do feel a certain stickiness on your skin after the oils absorb. Just like the feeling of coming out of the salty sea! I'm ok with that though and I think my children will be too!

I do have to say that the fun of whipping up a body product might lead to more projects in the future..... We do have a sunblock making party planned with some friends in a few weeks! Update to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment