Thursday, June 13, 2013

Goat Milk Intro

So we are stepping slowly along on our goat milk introduction. After we had a cow butter fail, we decided to try goat butter. I buy the Myenberg brand, which contains salt and natural flavor, but is the only goat butter I can find. L is to goat butter as N was to cow butter, meaning she quite likes it! She will ask for a chunk of it, cut to look like a cube of cheese.

Two weeks ago I bought a bottle of raw goat milk, which is legal in our state, and made it into 24 hour fermented yogurt. We tried the sensitivity test of putting some on the inside of our elbows before bed and watching for a rash and I gave it a full night and day. No rash, so then we tried a teaspoon of the whey with a little of the solids.

I don't always trust the sensitivity test, but I do think if I introduce the yogurt slowly and a little at a time, I will see a reaction if there is going to be one and it won't be extreme. The common reactions we see are rash/eczema, dark circles under the eyes, coughing/runny nose, either constipation or loose stools and behavior issues. Behavior issues usually involve intense screaming or crying. Oh, and let's not forget peeing on the floor.

So far, so good with our introduction. I increased our amount of yogurt every couple of days and we all seem to handle it just fine! My batch of yogurt was very runny, more like kefir or thick milk, so the next time I make it I will use gelatin to help it firm up in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment