Friday, July 6, 2012

Lead Soup?

So, our slow cooker (a generic brand that didn't cost too much in case we didn't like using a slow cooker) is giving out on me. It still cooks just fine, but the lid not longer securely attaches and the lid handle broke. So the result is liquids are very reduced over the long cooking time because so much steam comes out.

I have been using my big Le Crueset in the oven for 24 hour+ broth, but really enjoy using the slow cooker on days we are busy and want to come home to dinner already made.

I have been researching new ones and learned about concerns with lead leaching from the ceramic crock. Seems like this is an industry wide problem and it is really bothering me. The FDA does have standards for ceramic crocks - I found this on the FDA site - but I also didn't find it that helpful. I did note that fortunately the FDA also has standards for the amount of lead that can be present in candy.

I was looking at the Hamilton-Beach slow cooker and found this quote from Hamilton-Beach's website under FAQs. Note, they no where use the words "lead-free!" I really like the convenience of the slow cooker and the freedom it gives, especially when making everything from scratch, but I don't want to be serving lead with our healing soups!

What to do? Likely some more research on the issue.... Here's someone who has done some...


Q Does the crock contain lead?
A Hamilton Beach specifications applicable to all slow cookers and their components (including the earthenware crocks) prohibits the product from containing any measurable amounts of lead. Furthermore, the factories that manufacture the earthenware crocks for Hamilton Beach are certified ceramic production facilities whose ceramic ware is deemed to satisfy FDA heavy metal requirements. Hamilton Beach takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the earthenware crocks accompanying our slow cookers provide safe and satisfactory service to our consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment