Thursday, August 16, 2012

Still At It - GAPS Intro Stage 5/6

We've had lots of fun summer visitors and that has kept me from posting our latest on the GAPS diet for our family. We are still working through the stages and continue to try to focus on the basics for healing.

We've tried some different raw fruits (apples, peaches, blueberries, grapes, plums, mango, fig, banana) as well as honey, and tested for fish but only introduced it to N. I rubbed some of the fish (canned sardine) on L's arm and one week later she still has a raised rash on the spot! Needless to say, no sardine for L. Maybe we'll try salmon at some point.

L seems ok with some of the fruits (grapes) and not others (apple, peach), so I am trying to figure that out. The same for N. I am learning more about oxalates and am wondering if they may be an issue. More on that another time.

The honey is probably ok, but not in great quantities.

I also took N off the ghee these past two weeks. She has major nighttime congestion and I wondered if ghee might contribute to it. We're undecided on if this had made a difference. We'll probably reintroduce it and see.

We have also discovered the love of coconut butter (think nutbutter not cow butter!) and just saw this great recipe to make it at home. We have also tried some coconut flour and that seems to be tolerated just fine. This was the recipe I adapted yesterday for a big pancake (adaptions included: halved the recipe, used 1 cup home made coconut milk in place of egg whites, no baking soda, only vanilla extract and cooked in a cast iron skillet on the stove top for a while, then in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes and broiler for 4 minutes to toast the top). Nice to have a flour option for some baking. We can also use ground sunflower or pumpkin seeds (we soak and dehydrate the seeds at home).

This past week we haven't had any soup because the last batch of bone broth I made gave me such migraines that there were two days where I couldn't function, so we are using gelatin powder until I make some meat broth. I made some coconut milk jello and we also sprinkle it on our food - it is plain but does have a texture when you don't dissolve it.

The fermenting and juicing continues, though I really need to get a digital scale to aid in brine making for the ferments. Our favorites are ginger carrots, beets, onions. Our kraut will be ready in a few weeks - it takes 10 weeks for cabbage based ferments to be ready to eat.

A bit slack on the detox baths - but we have spent time in the ocean and to me that counts as a salt bath!

I have to remind myself that we have significantly expanded L's (and my) diet since starting GAPS  egg yolks, ghee, beef, duck, lamb, coconut products (oil, butter, flour), some fruits are now all part of our diet - or can be any way! This is very positive, though I know we still have lots of healing work to do, especially for L.

In other news, we are leaving on Saturday for a visit to Washington to see our friends there. I am thankful that I feel like we can travel and have enough foods that we will be fine. Our hotel has a little kitchen so I can bake squash and make chicken and we can cook eggs and vegetables. And we can eat avocado, cucumber, grapes, peppers and Bubbies pickles and kraut so we certainly won't starve. We won't be eating out, but we will enjoy the time with friends!







No comments:

Post a Comment