Friday, August 10, 2012

The Vitamix and My First Green Juice

So after a week and a half of patiently waiting, my Vitamix finally arrived.  I got the red one - since that seemed to be the most festive of the color options - plus it matches my other red kitchen items.

The Vitamix came with a book of recipes and a CD which I haven't watched yet.  Instead, I spent my time researching how to make a green juice that doesn't taste horrible. And guess what, I succeeded on my first try!

Here is my first green juice recipe:

1 large handful of organic broccoli slaw (from Trader Joes)
2 large handfuls of organic kale
1/2 small cucumber
1 lemon peeled and seeds removed
1 chunk of ginger
1/2 cup of frozen mango
filtered water

I was impressed how easily the Vitamix turned this concoction into a beautiful green pulpy mess.  Once I strained it out it was a slightly sweet and gingery drink that was surprisingly delicious.  I am looking forward to experimenting some more with different recipes and vegetables like celery, cabbage, and tomatoes, plus making coconut milk and 'icecream' - yum!

1 comment: