Saturday, August 18, 2012

What to do with Vegetable Pulp?


I mentioned a few posts back that I have been using my Vitamix to make green juice - which is surprisingly delicious. 

The first few times I juiced I put the leftover vegetable pulp into the compost bag that I take down to the farmers market every week.  After a few days of doing this though I started to feel like I was wastingfood and since these are all organic vegetables, I also started to feel like I was wasting money.

So I decided to use up the pulp by making some crackers in the dehydrator.  I thought it was going to be complicated, but it was really quite easy. I went for a 'pizza' type flavor and they actually came out quite well flavor wise.  In the future I will score the dough so I get nicer cracker shapes and maybe try some different flavors.



Vegetable Crackers

3-4 cups vegetable pulp
1.5 cups sunflower seed flour (soaked, dehydrated and ground)
1 cup whole sunflower seeds (soaked and dehydrated)
1/4 c. black sesame seeds
1/4 c. tomato paste
Salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper & cumin (nutritional yeast would also be really delicious to give it a cheese flavor)

Mix everything up and spread it out on parchment.  I used my dehydrator on 115 degrees for about 12 hours, but you could also use an oven.  Note that you may need more or less flour depending on the dryness of the pulp. I would also recommend scoring the sheets so the crackers break apart easily. You could also do this half way through baking/dehydrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment