Monday, May 28, 2012

Chicken Feet Stock and Ghee

This weekend we spent quite a bit of time preparing for Stage 1 of GAPS Intro. We moved a lot of food from the fridge to the freezer. We made chicken feet stock and homemade ghee. You know your husband is your true love when he helps you with the chicken feet. 

We peeled lots of garlic and put that in the freezer. There are three pounds of beef bones and three pounds of ground beef in there too (I'm hopeful beef will be tolerated by L). Nineteen jars (formerly holding Bubbies kraut/pickles) of broth/stock We also made two giant batches of soup - one broccoli with turkey meatballs and one cauliflower zucchini. Both with chicken meat stock as the base. Today we made another batch of meat broth, stashed two packets of chicken meat in the freezer and a bag of "chicken pate." 

The ghee, by the way, made the kitchen smell like a movie theater and N was swooning in front of the oven. I told her she could eat the "Gheelicious" as a treat in week 2 after she has had enough broth. We (including me and L - dairy sensitivities) are all going to try it. We got butter from the farmer's market - pastured jersey cows from CA at $6 per 8 oz. - it was so yellow it looked like a nice cheddar. I tried to sing healing mantras (along with YouTube) while the ghee was going but C changed the music to Grateful Dead - hmmmm.

These links were helpful:
Ghee:
Chicken Feet:

I have lots of jars of Bubbies pickles and kraut at the back of the fridge waiting for us and we have cleaned out fridge, freezer and pantry of non-GAPS foods. Been eating a lot of berry/coconut milk icecream this weekend too!

I haven't been able to start fermenting yet as I don't want to leave unattended first ferments while we are gone for a week, so the Bubbies will have to do. I'm super excited to start with the Pickl-It Jars. I plan to ferment foods for the rest of my life!

I really like these resources for fermenting so far:
http://www.cookingtf.com/ - great series on fermenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment