Wednesday, May 30, 2012

GAPS Intro Diet - Day 6

I woke up earlier than usual today and was thinking about an article I had read in Whole Living magazine the other night - yes that is what I think about at 6:20 in the morning. The article was about endocrine disruptors and provided a list of the chemicals found in plastics, pesticides, and household cleaners that can interfere with hormones.  I always want to read these articles and try to come out thinking that I am better informed to make smarter decisions with my dollars. But it is just so overwhelming and frustrating when you realize that the majority of things in your house are harmful in some way. The sad thing is, I am sure there are so, so many people who don't know it, or can't/won't avoid those products because of the cost.  The other thing I don't understand is why there aren't better regulations on our food and the products we use.  Doing the GAPS diet has definitely made me reevaluate even more the products I buy and bring into the apartment.  Granted I have known about BPA in can linings and avoid purchasing cans unless they are BPA free, I have known about Environmental Working Groups list of foods containing the highest amounts of pesticides, but I hadn't made the commitment to switch over my cleaning products (despite the chemicals giving me asthma!) or be more conscious about my body wash and shampoo. It is tough to make sense of all the data that is out there and all of the data that is not out there, but hopefully the changes will help me make an impact in my health in addition to the diet itself.
Here was the menu for today -

Breakfast: Broccoli Soup with Ground Beef
(broccoli, onions, garlic, chicken stock, ground beef, onion/leek gravy (this stuff made my soup taste so much better - must make more)
Snack: Tulsi Lemon Ginger Tea

Lunch: Zucchini Soup with Chicken
(same recipe as yesterday)

Dinner: Beef Meatballs with Soup Melange (aka, a combination of leftover broccoli and leftover zucchini soup + grassfed beef meatballs, some tomato paste and extra chicken stock) and boiled broccoli on the side with coconut oil and salt.
Snack: 3 teaspoons of sauerkraut juice and 2 teaspoons (or maybe a little more :) of sauerkraut. I found this delicious sauerkraut at Wholefoods from Hawthorne Farm - I bought the jalapeno variety and it is so good. It actually doesn't even taste at all like sauerkraut - maybe it is because it is raw and lacto-fermented? Hopefully my raw, lacto-fermented sauerkraut will taste like that in a month and a half.

Other:
Detox bath with baking soda

Meal Consensus:
Food was good today, though I might be getting just a little sick of soup..... which I guess makes sense.  Dinner was really good actually even though it could have been a disaster and it was nice to have the broccoli on the side rather than pureed in a soup. It was a good idea to bulk prepare soup and just pull in out to defrost for the meals the next day. I have 4 quarts left in the freezer so I am guessing I will need to make some more this weekend to have enough to get me through next week.

Feelings/Reactions:
Again, story of the week - I am really tired.  Even writing this post I am mistyping words because it is 10 pm and I was ready for bed at 8! My skin is breaking out in the typical forehead and chest spots that it has been doing since I started having food problems. Hopefully this means the toxins are getting out of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment