Saturday, May 26, 2012

GAPS Intro Diet - Day 2

I woke up this morning with absolutely no desire to eat soup again for breakfast so decided to switch it up and make some ground hamburger with onions and stock for breakfast. We had plans to go to the Bronx Zoo with some friends and I had leftover soup and some chicken I had cooked last night to take along.  Breakfast started out pretty promising.  I was excited to eat some solid food and to try the farmers market grass fed and finished beef.  It smelled good.  It looked a little fatty (I think it was 85/15 beef).  It tasted like.... well to me it tasted like animal flesh, which given that is what it is makes sense, but I wasn't sure I could eat any more than one bite if it tasted like that.  You see I am not a big meat eater.  I don't crave red meat, never buy it, and don't order it out at restaurants. I don't even really like the way chicken tastes plain.  I like my meats/poultry well seasoned, and I am not talking about just salt and pepper.  So on Day 2 I decided to 'cheat' just a little and add in some organic ground sage to my hamburger breakfast.  What do you know, the meaty, almost 'gamey' taste was masked and breakfast became pretty good.  So going forward, if needed, I will be seasoning my foods with organic spices so that they are more palatable.

Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast:
Ground Hamburger with Onions
(hamburger, onion, chicken stock, salt and pepper, organic dried sage)

Snack:
1 mug of chicken stock

Lunch:
Broccoli Soup/Zucchini Soup with chunks of chicken
(yesterday's soups mixed together with chicken and organic dried dill)

Dinner:
Broccoli Soup/Zucchini Soup with chunks of chicken
(yesterday's soups mixed together with chicken and organic dried dill, 1 clove fresh garlic)

Other: Detox 'shower' with Epsom salt - did not have the time/energy to wait for the bath to fill...

Meal Consensus: Breakfast was good after the addition of the sage. Lunch and dinner were satisfying and tasted better with the dill. Was not very hungry today.

Feelings/Reactions: We went to the zoo today, which was maybe a little overzealous on my part because it ended up being too much physical activity for me - which is funny because I am in pretty good shape and we were just walking - granted it was hot.  I tried to stay hydrated - drank about 35 oz of water while we were there and a lot prior.  It was so hot that I didn't really feel hungry, but I got a massive headache around 2:30 that felt like a caffeine detox headache.  It was pretty painful, but obviously not a caffeine detox headache since I haven't had large amounts of caffeine for weeks.  I tried to eat some of my soup around 3:30 to see if that would help and did it, but it only temporarily.  My soup was super hot, not great when it feels like 90 degrees outside. Obviously I was not thinking when I heated it up this morning.  Needless to say after we left around 5:30, I started feeling a little nauseous in the car in addition to the headache.  Really? Day 2 and I am feeling like this?Not sure if the headache is GAPS related or heat related or a little of both.  When we got home I was exhausted, no energy whatsover, as if I had done an extreme amount of exercise.  I showered and ate dinner then got in bed and napped for about an hour. I used some peppermint oil on my head for the headache and that helped - must get more estential oils!

Tip(s) of the day: Pack more food than you think you need incase there is a change in plans (everyone wanted to go out to get bbq after the zoo and I didnt have food, a 2 hour wait at the resturant prevented this from being a potential crisis for me). Take it easy when starting GAPS - today might be an indication that playing tennis tomorrow might not be a good idea...


No comments:

Post a Comment