Sunday, June 10, 2012

GAPS Intro Diet - Day 17 (Stage 3)

When we first moved up to New York I would shop at a grocery store on Smith Street every week and would be able to find almost everything I needed. I went in there the other day to buy baking soda and realized that now, on this diet, there are about 2 things I would be able to purchase - organic herbs and organic lettuce. They don't carry any other organic produce and don't have any meats I would even consider buying. Kind of crazy.

Since eliminating gluten three years ago I have been much more aware of the foods I put in my body, but starting this diet has really made me think about food available in this country, or rather the lack of good food in this country.  How TV commercials are so misleading to make consumers think a processed product is healthy - something like children's cereals for example - which is touted as full of whole grains and vitamins or that obnoxious nutella commercial where it is implied (at least in my opinion) that nutella is healthy.

It is sad that so many people don't realize that many of the grocery store products are full of artificial flavors and colors, sugar, and bad fat.  I use to be one of those people.

So when I came across this article today - I really felt like it summed up everything that is wrong with food in America.

GAPS updates:  I decided to skip the probiotic today because I realized that yesterday I felt the way I felt a few months ago - like food was just sitting in my stomach and not being digested. Maybe it was the high fat content of the nuts and even though they were soaked for 24 hours before dehydrating, maybe they don't process well with me. Or maybe it is the probiotic - because I am pretty confident that the other probiotic I was taking a few months ago was causing food not to process - this one could be doing the same. I did take the 8 pills of fermented cod liver oil (only had 4 yesterday) and I have had a miserable headache for the last 7 hours. Not sure what is causing this...but it is getting old and hopefully I don't have one tomorrow at work.



No comments:

Post a Comment